Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Day 5 in Austria and Day 3 of Training

Hallo!  The roommates and I went out on the town last night for the first time.  I think last night's festivities caught up to me today, as I was feeling a little less active; however, I forced myself to run this morning along the Mürz river.  I really wanted a way of transportation in Austria since we don't get our sponsor car for another week and a half.  I decided to run all the way to our manager's house, which was about 3.125 miles, so I could retrieve a bicycle.  It was a perfect morning to run.  The temperature wasn't too hot or too cold and the sun was shining.  I ran on a bike trail which is right next to our flat, but I am still unsure if people are even allowed to run on the bike trail.  No one has stopped me yet, so I suppose it's okay for now.  While on the trail, I was unable to see the houses along the main road and I wasn't sure if I had passed Margret's house or not.  I left the bike trail and continued to run on the main road, which I don't think was such a safe idea with European cars driving 100 kph (about 60-65 mph).  I just didn't want to miss Margret's house!  Luckily, I made it to Margret's house safe and sound.  As I approached the yard, an adorable little katze (cat) laying in the grass greeted me and seemed to be protecting my new way of transportation, an orange bicycle.  Margret came out of her house to give me a helmet and some matching orange sunglasses to go along with my new ride.  She sent me on my way and I was most enthused about biking home rather than running, especially after a night out on the town.  For the ride home, I decided to stay on the bike trail this time and not wander off onto the main road.

The bike helped me reach the flat in no time at all, but I decided to take another bike ride into town.  This was my first time into town by myself and in daylight.  I was nervous and scared, praying that no one would try to start a conversation with me since the German language isn't something I have mastered quite yet.  I found the town very cute.  It was filled with little shops, cafes, bars, and restaurants.  Everyone seemed really friendly as they greeted me with "Hallo!" (Hello) or "Guten Morgen!" (Good Morning).  I just tried my best to say "Hello" but with an Austrian/German accent, so I'd fit in.  After an hour or two bike riding around town, I returned home to check on the roommates, who were still asleep when I arrived home.  Keep in mind that it was around 1:45 p.m. (Central European Time), but I know they have not exactly adjusted to the time differences yet and they seem to have a difficult time falling asleep at night as well.  When it's midnight here in Austria, it's 6:00 p.m. back in America.  It's going to take them a little longer to adapt to a new sleep schedule.  I'm surprised I've adjusted so quickly.  

We had practice at 4:15 p.m. today.  It consisted of some stick-handling drills, 1-on-1 drills, and some shooting drills.  After we skated, we ran up and down the stadium stairs for about 15-20 minutes.  We did the same kind of off-ice training the day before.  My legs will most likely be sore tomorrow after running up and down stairs for two days in a row, but thankfully, we don't have training for the next two days.  Our next practice is on Friday.  I'll keep you posted!

tschüss! (Bye)



  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by 2008

Back to TOP